Friday, January 29, 2010

Road to Awe

Been going through my script and making notes / changes, but the thing is, I'm thinking of massive story changes that I'm not 100% sure might work, which I plan on discussing next week. For example, my main character's girlfriend is pregnant - should I get rid of that and change part of the problem, or would that be too hard to tackle? I dunno. I'm still figuring it out. I have made some changes and realized some ways that can help explain his frustration with life in general at the beginning, like emphasizing the pressures that are placed on him by everyone around him -- "you should study this" "forget studying and do this" "I want you to do this" "why don't you..." etc.

I'm frustrated myself and pissed off at it. I kinda hate it right now, but if those big changes work, maybe I won't. I find that when I get this way, I keep thinking of new and different ideas for movies and think "Ooh! I should work on that instead! That's much more interesting!" But I can't, because this is Number One and what I have to deal with. Grumble.

Last night, I was incredibly ticked off at life in general, too. There's basically only a handful of people in the world that aren't pissing me off right now, and I want to do something different. So I decided at midnight that I would get up early and go down to Penn's Landing and watch the sunrise. When my alarm went off, I smacked it thinking, "What the fuck is this!? Why is my alarm going off?!" when I remembered "Oh yeah. I'm getting up in the dark because I decided it was a brilliant idea to watch the sunrise. Smart move."

It was. I met up with a friend and we took the El to 2nd and walked all the way to the amphitheater section of Penn's Landing and sat on a bench as close to the river as we could. The gulls circled above in a wonderful Hitchcockian manner and I asked, "I don't look enough like Tippi Hedren for the birds to attack us, do I?" The light wisps of clouds on the horizon scattered the light just enough and there was a lovely orange and pink glow amongst them. My friend pointed to the way the orange reflection mixed with the blues of the water and how it looked like a Monet. We nearly went blind staring into the sun as it began to break over the buildings of Camden. Not exactly the most beautiful skyline to watch, but it was far better than sitting in West Philadelphia and waiting for the sun to clear skyscraper after skyscraper.

When the sun had finally cleared the buildings and lit up the city, we went home, exhausted from getting up before the dawn, but better for the experience. I actually haven't intentionally watched the sunrise in almost four years, and it was well worth it. I came home, made blueberry muffins, drank Jasmine green tea, and found out my English class was cancelled.

It's gonna be a lovely day.

http://tinyurl.com/bealovelyday

No comments:

Post a Comment